Harper Grey celebrates Black History Month with a candid presentation from Mr. Raphael Tachie
The Harper Grey Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging Committee organized an informative Lunch n’ Learn to conclude our various initiatives recognizing Black History Month. Raphael Tachie spoke candidly about his experience as a Black man, from his time attending law school to his current position as a Partner and head of Gowling WLG’s Private Client Services Group in Vancouver.
Raphael is the current president of the Canadian Association of Black Lawyers (CABL). CABL is a national network of legal professionals committed to reinvesting in the community. They focus on:
- Recruiting Black talent into law school and proving them with the opportunity to succeed
- Building community support networks that can help with resources
- Mentoring members of the community and young talent
- Advocating and intervening in legal cases/issues to facilitate justice reform
- Researching and collecting data on trends within the legal system
Learn more about CABL and the work they do here.
Thanks to the Diversity, Inclusion, and Belongingness Committee for organizing this event. And a huge thank you to Raphael Tachie for his time and insight into diversity and inclusion. His personal stories and experiences left all of us with a great deal to consider.