Harper Grey Hosts “Ask Us Anything Employer Webinar: Vaccinations in the Workplace”
On Wednesday, November 24, 2021, our Workplace Law Group hosted their fourth “Ask Us Anything Employer Webinar” focused on vaccinations the workplace. The panel discussion provided insights from members of our Workplace Law group: Scott Marcinkow, Rose Keith, QC, Ryan Chan, Deanne Froese, Neal Parker, and Brett Weninger, who discussed vaccination policies, possible vaccination exemptions, the rights of employers and more.
Check out the recorded session below.
The group’s first panel discussion, which took place in June, focused on “Covid Concerns in the Workplace”. View the recording here. Their second session, focused on “Remote Work”, was hosted in July. That recording is also available for viewing here. Their third discussion, took place in August and focused on “Returning to the Workplace”. You can watch the recording here.
- What are the human rights considerations? (5:52)
- What are the occupational health and safety concerns? (6:39)
- What are the privacy concerns? (7:37)
- What are some employment contract considerations? (9:33)
- What are the risks around claims of constructive dismissal? (11:03)
- What are the basic terms of the PHO Order mandate? (15:13)
- What are some possible workplace vaccination exemptions? (18:19)
- Can employers ask their employees for medical information? (22:38)
- How should employers respond to religious and political-based requests? (28:35)
- How might medical exemptions need to be accommodated? (30:50)
- What can employers do in the case of an employee’s refusal to vaccinate or refusal to show status? (32:10)
- What are some more flexible measures employers can take for non-vaccinated employees? (37:55)
- Should employers take punitive measures? (40:56)
- Is transparency around a workplace’s vaccination policy necessary for potential job hiring? (47:50)
- Can you collect vaccination status as part of a risk assessment prior to policy creation? (52:15)
- Conclusion – Should employers have a vaccination policy? If so, what should it look like and what are some precautions to be taken to avoid liabilities? (53:50)
This webinar took place on Wednesday, November 24, 2021 at 10:00am PDT. The pandemic is a rapidly changing situation and new measures may have been introduced since the time of recording. The information provided through this webinar recording is intended for general information purposes only and does not create a lawyer-client relationship. It is not intended as legal advice from Harper Grey LLP or the individual participants, nor intended as a substitute for legal advice on any specific subject matter. Detailed legal counsel should be sought prior to undertaking any legal matter.