Defamation, libel, slander and breach of privacy are serious matters. Our lawyers tenaciously pursue legal remedies while respecting sensitive client needs.
In today’s digital age, where sensitive personal information is stored electronically, protecting personal information has never been more important.
We assist our clients with compliance matters relating to the application of privacy and data legislation, the development of appropriate policies, and responding to privacy breaches and Freedom of Information requests.
We can help you wade through the ins and outs of privacy and defamation claims.
Defamation can happen verbally, in print or social media and even in a letter or email. You have a right to privacy and a right to protect your future. Our in-depth expertise enables us to handle matters quickly and precisely, so you can move on with dignity and your reputation intact.
Defamation is often referred to as a form of personal injury. While not a physical injury, defamation damages are often covered under personal or business liability insurance policies.
For example, home or rental insurance coverage often takes personal liability into account and a claim against this coverage could include any damages, as well as any legal fees involved. Professional liability coverage, such as errors and omissions insurance or a policy negotiated through membership in a professional association will often cover legal fees and damages. Business insurance may offer another avenue for funding or defending a defamation claim.
- Social media policy development for employers and organizations.
- Representation in social media and general media defamation matters.
- Advising physicians and other health care practitioners on how to deal with privacy breaches including drafting privacy policies for clinics and other health care establishments.
- Tracking down "anonymous" website contributors and publishers. This often involves investigating international internet hosting and email services.
- Representing professionals who have been defamed by clients, patients and others on "rating" websites.
- Representing individuals and organizations defamed in print, email, verbal commentary, media or other publications.
- Representing politicians and those running for elected office in cases involving defamation, libel, slander and breach of privacy.
- Advising media outlets before and after publication of statements and stories.
- Having defamatory statements retracted and removed from public access.
- Seizure of electronic equipment allegedly used to defame, such as laptops and mobile phones.
- Representation in online defamation cases which involve privacy and freedom of information laws from other countries where internet service providers or media outlets are located.
- Claims for breach of privacy under federal or provincial legislation, which may involve information protected by governments, employers and private businesses.
- Negotiating acceptable damages awards in order to prevent matters from going to trial and entering the public record.
- Working with insurance companies and their insured whose coverage may include the personal liability of defamation.
- A teenager is bullied by classmates on a popular social media site. Photos are altered. Untrue statements are made. The teen and her parents want the postings removed. They also want to ensure other teens aren’t bullied the same way.
- A laptop or USB drive containing personal patient information is stolen from the vehicle of a clinic employee. The clinic must now rectify the privacy breach and notify its patients.
- A website publishes a scathing, anonymous online review of a car mechanic’s services. The review shows up every time the business name is entered into an internet search engine. Business declines, and the owner wants the posting removed.
- A popular newspaper publishes an expose about local political corruption and bribery. The elected officials mentioned dispute the facts, claiming that the negative coverage will hurt their reputations and their chances of re-election.
- Helped a young woman who was defamed by an ex-boyfriend on a website. We had the posting removed and resolved the matter quickly and privately.
- A professional was the subject of a very negative anonymous review on a popular “rating” site where opinions are posted. We traced the source of the review and negotiated removal of the posting.
- A high school principal was accused of defaming a teacher who had been suspended over allegations of improper behaviour. The case went to trial, the claim was dismissed and the legal fees were covered by the principal’s insurance.
- A client found out that her professional skills were being defamed by fellow committee members via email. Harper Grey sued the committee members on her behalf and negotiated a favourable financial award for her.
25 Lawyers Recognized as Leaders in their field by Benchmark Canada® 2022
Harper Grey lawyers receive 58 rankings from Best Lawyers® in Canada 2022
24 Harper Grey lawyers recognized for litigation expertise by Benchmark Canada®, 2021
Harper Grey receives highest firm ranking as a “Highly Recommended” local litigation law firm in British Columbia from Benchmark Canada® 2014 - 2021
Harper Grey receives 51 rankings from Best Lawyers® in Canada 2021
29 Harper Grey lawyers recognized across 19 specialty areas by Best Lawyers® in Canada, 2020
19 Harper Grey lawyers recognized as “Leading Practitioners” by Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory®, 2021
Harper Grey recognized as a "Leading Law Firm" regionally in the area of Dispute Resolution by Chambers Canada®, 2017-2020
Martindale Hubbell® recognizes 13 Harper Grey lawyers across 27 practice areas
Harper Grey receives the TAGLaw Membership Award of Distinction acknowledging 15 years of outstanding service
Kim Yee receives prestigious Lexpert® 2016 Rising Stars Award honoring Canada’s Leading Lawyers Under 40
Harper Grey recognized as a Top 10 Regional Firm in British Columbia, Alberta and the Territories by Canadian Lawyer Magazine, 2012 and 2014
“Harper Grey has a 100-year-old profile in this market,” testifies one senior-level peer, adding, “but the talent there now is mostly all younger than me!”
“They were amazing to work with! They were incredibly competent and resolution based. They kept me centered in the midst of the storm and got me a great result in very short time frame.”
"The Harper Grey team is a well-oiled machine. All the lawyers I deal with are well-trained and hardworking. They communicate well and are always available for questions."
“Incredibly strong skill set, knowledge of litigation and strategic, and keen ability to solve problems.”
“These lawyers are all subject matter experts, and leader in their field, whose knowledge and skill are matched by their excellent client service.”
“This team has provided outstanding legal service. They are prompt, responsive, and communicative. They are strong strategists and provide well researched, experienced legal advice. We work with many firms, and Harper Grey stands out. One member of the team remembers every interaction, memo, pleading and document. They understand a very complicated file and address it with ease and candor. We very much appreciate their strong advocacy.”
“The firm is top notch. They have many lawyers specialized in medical defense work who are highly skilled in their legal acumen and practice management, but who also recognize the importance of carrying out their work in a practical, results-oriented manner. They actively look for ways to more efficiently partner with their clients for effective management of the work, while at the same time not weakening their excellent service delivery, their responsiveness, or their effectiveness in the work.”
“The firm’s lawyers are principled and have deep integrity. Their work is thorough and of consistent high quality.”
“They dominate the medical practice, insurance, and product liability and even have more specialties like bankruptcy, aviation, defamation, securities, even environmental.”
“Excellent response time, good talent from junior and intermediate to senior levels and reasonable service costs.”
“Recognition remains vibrant for firm figurehead Bryan Baynham, a veteran of commercial law as well as niche areas such as real estate, defamation, media and privacy.”
“Harper Grey has niches, and in those niches they are the best of the best.”
“Bryan Baynham exemplifies the ways in which this firm has set itself apart. He attends to a variety of practice areas that he has really cornered a market on, like aviation and also defamation and media law.”
“Harper Grey is one of the best firms in Vancouver. They have excellent service, knowledge and their cost structure is excellent.”
“Every day it seems like I am dealing with someone at Harper Grey, and I always find them professional, courteous and effective.”
"Bryan Baynham has a strong presence and remains active and upbeat. I always seem to have something going on with him, confirms one peer."
“Peers vouch for Bryan Baynham’s acumen, addressing him as “a worthy opponent, good on his feet, very skilled and seasoned.”
“Harper Grey lawyers are ‘dedicated to their clients and focused on finding and implementing practical solutions for them. The lawyers are prompt, intelligent and insightful, and provide a high level of customer service’.”
“A Vancouver staple, Harper Grey is perhaps the most BC-centric of the “highly recommended” firms, owing largely to the firm’s bench strength in several key areas.”
“They exceeded all my expectations. I am very satisfied with their work and very happy to recommend them.”
“A lawyer who refers work to Harper Grey wrote it has ‘great service, a breadth of practice and I have never received a negative comment from referrals to the firm’.”
“Harper Grey is a trial lawyer’s firm, and they’ve got a big deep bench of well-trained litigators.”
“Clients are comforted by the firm’s long history in BC. We’re steeped in the region. Our connection is such that we have knowledge of not only the issue itself, but the history of the issue in the province.” – Richard Bereti
News & Knowledge