We help clients who dispute or contest the validity of wills, estates, trusts and joint tenancy transfers. We also represent people who have been disinherited.
Estate litigation is an emotionally charged area of law. We take the time to understand how stressful estate disputes are to our clients and their families, and what is at stake for them.
We also have a group of lawyers who help clients prepare wills and trusts, and who work with them on estate planning and wealth preservation. Their primary goal is to create vehicles that transfer a maximum amount of wealth to beneficiaries with a minimum amount of delay.
Clients with estate disputes in other regions benefit from our membership in the TAGLaw network of law firms. We can help you find a reliable, reputable lawyer in another province, state or country who is familiar with local case law and legislation.
- Committeeship applications.
- Wills Variation Orders.
- Estate disputes relating to family businesses.
- Contesting executor or trust accounting.
- Interpretation of wills.
- Connecting clients to wills and estates lawyers in other jurisdictions.
- Helping clients in other jurisdictions who must deal with elder law or estate issues in British Columbia.
- The surviving spouse in a second-marriage is the sole beneficiary of a large estate. The deceased wife was estranged from her two adult children, but they feel entitled to a portion of the inheritance.
- A charity is left an enormous sum of money in a benefactor’s will. Arrangements had been made to launch a charitable service in the donor’s honour. The other beneficiaries dispute the amount gifted to the charity, especially those involving securities.
- A businessman leaves his entire estate to his male children, even though he has three daughters and three sons. This comes as a surprise to his daughters, who took care of him in his old age, and who were involved in running the family business.
24 Harper Grey lawyers recognized for litigation expertise by Benchmark Canada®, 2021
Harper Grey receives highest firm ranking as a “Highly Recommended” local litigation law firm in British Columbia from Benchmark Canada® 2014-2020
29 Harper Grey lawyers recognized across 19 specialty areas by Best Lawyers® in Canada, 2020
19 Harper Grey lawyers recognized as “Leading Practitioners” by Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory®, 2021
Harper Grey recognized as a "Leading Law Firm" regionally in the area of Dispute Resolution by Chambers Canada®, 2017-2020
Martindale Hubbell® recognizes 13 Harper Grey lawyers across 27 practice areas
Harper Grey receives the TAGLaw Membership Award of Distinction acknowledging 15 years of outstanding service
Harper Grey recognized as a Top 10 Regional Firm in British Columbia, Alberta and the Territories by Canadian Lawyer Magazine, 2012 and 2014