Family law matters affect the core of our most professional and intimate relationships. Some are quite straightforward. Many others involve complicated disputes that can take a toll on our mental and physical well-being, and the well-being of our children, extended family and friends.
No matter how straightforward or complex, each family law situation we help with is unique, as is yours. We will treat it that way. Choosing Harper Grey’s family law team puts you in good hands.
With decades of experience behind us, our family law team knows you want complete information and all of your considerations explored. We take the time to understand your needs, to clearly and fully explain your options, and then help you to explore how each will affect you, your family and your finances – now and in the future. In short, we give you the power to make well-informed choices.
We will always provide clear explanations, be accessible to you, and remain focused on helping you move forward with your life.
Led by Maureen Lundell, QC, our family lawyers have helped clients in almost every situation imaginable. We take pride in our professional and practical approach that reflects your needs and goals. You can count on our experience and know-how to:
- guide you through the legal process;
- clearly explain your options; and
- help you make the best choices for the future.
What we do, exactly
We help clients in myriad ways. On any given day at Harper Grey, you will find us:
- drafting agreements on marriage and cohabitation, parenting and division of assets;
- representing clients at every step of the litigation process, including appearing at judicial case conferences and at necessary court appearances up to and including trial;
- talking to accountants, real estate appraisers, business valuators and financial planners on behalf of our clients;
- sharing ideas and experiences with one another to resolve issues more effectively, and consulting Harper Grey colleagues from related practices such as conveyancing, wills and estates;
- representing clients in the collaborative law process;
- attending mediations with clients;
- acting for clients on a limited retainer basis – for example, restricting our involvement to specific tasks requested such as drafting key documents, or appearing to present their argument;
- mediating disputes – our family law group chair, Maureen Lundell, QC is a qualified and experienced family law mediator.
Three aspects of our approach set Harper Grey’s family law team apart. They are the key to our success.
We are professional
Our strong reputation for professionalism has been built over many years. We are known for being clear-thinking, plain-speaking, and caring with our clients. We remain calm and objective when things become emotionally charged. We communicate well, and respond quickly. Our clients believe that they are in good hands with us, and we are confident that you will too.
We are practical
For us, being practical means taking an honest look at your situation, and the legal expertise you need. It means finding the right fit for you from within our legal team, and figuring out the best way to communicate and work together. It also means being up front about our fees, and regularly reviewing the costs and benefits of your legal strategy.
We are engaged
Family law disputes are always evolving. As they do, we scan for opportunities and solutions, and anticipate unexpected risks. We keep you abreast of these developments to make sure that you never feel overwhelmed by legal process.
We also keep ourselves abreast of changes and trends that can affect our clients. In addition to maintaining a complete and up-to-date knowledge of family law legislation and rules, we:
- pursue specialized training in mediation, collaborative law, arbitration and parenting coordination;
- attend continuing legal education conferences;
- attend meetings of the Family Law Section of the Canadian Bar Association’s B.C. Branch;
- follow trends in parenting and family finances in the popular press; and
- meet regularly as a group to share knowledge on developments in the law, court processes, protocol and practice tips.
Types of matters we handle:
Legal issues arising from separation and divorce. When relationships break down, our family law team helps clients resolve:
- custody and parenting arrangements;
- child and spousal support disputes;
- claims to business interests;
- the manner in which assets should be valued and distributed;
- competing claims, such as those relating to inheritances and assets owned prior to the relationship.
Family law planning. We also handle a range of planning matters at all stages of a family’s life, including:
- advising on and preparing marriage and cohabitation agreements;
- protecting personal assets – for example, gifts from parents, pre-existing family trusts, inheritances, and settlement funds from personal injury or employment claims;
- protecting assets as your situation changes – for example, if a parent remarries or if personal income tax adjustments need to be made;
- with the help of others at Harper Grey with related expertise, advising on wills, living wills, committeeship, and guardian plans.
25 Lawyers Recognized as Leaders in their field by Benchmark Canada® 2022
Harper Grey lawyers receive 58 rankings from Best Lawyers® in Canada 2022
Harper Grey receives highest firm ranking as a “Highly Recommended” local litigation law firm in British Columbia from Benchmark Canada® 2014-2021
24 Harper Grey lawyers recognized for litigation expertise by Benchmark Canada®, 2021
Harper Grey receives 51 rankings from Best Lawyers® in Canada 2021
19 Harper Grey lawyers recognized as “Leading Practitioners” by Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory®, 2021
Harper Grey recognized as a "Leading Law Firm" regionally in the area of Dispute Resolution by Chambers Canada® 2017-2020
Martindale Hubbell® recognizes 13 Harper Grey lawyers across 27 practice areas
Harper Grey receives the TAGLaw Membership Award of Distinction acknowledging 15 years of outstanding service
Harper Grey recognized as a Top 10 Regional Firm in British Columbia, Alberta and the Territories by Canadian Lawyer Magazine, 2012 and 2014
29 Harper Grey lawyers recognized across 19 specialty areas by Best Lawyers® in Canada, 2020
“Harper Grey has a 100-year-old profile in this market,” testifies one senior-level peer, adding, “but the talent there now is mostly all younger than me!”
“They were amazing to work with! They were incredibly competent and resolution based. They kept me centered in the midst of the storm and got me a great result in very short time frame.”
"The Harper Grey team is a well-oiled machine. All the lawyers I deal with are well-trained and hardworking. They communicate well and are always available for questions."
“Incredibly strong skill set, knowledge of litigation and strategic, and keen ability to solve problems.”
“These lawyers are all subject matter experts, and leader in their field, whose knowledge and skill are matched by their excellent client service.”
“This team has provided outstanding legal service. They are prompt, responsive, and communicative. They are strong strategists and provide well researched, experienced legal advice. We work with many firms, and Harper Grey stands out. One member of the team remembers every interaction, memo, pleading and document. They understand a very complicated file and address it with ease and candor. We very much appreciate their strong advocacy.”
“The firm is top notch. They have many lawyers specialized in medical defense work who are highly skilled in their legal acumen and practice management, but who also recognize the importance of carrying out their work in a practical, results-oriented manner. They actively look for ways to more efficiently partner with their clients for effective management of the work, while at the same time not weakening their excellent service delivery, their responsiveness, or their effectiveness in the work.”
“The firm’s lawyers are principled and have deep integrity. Their work is thorough and of consistent high quality.”
“A Vancouver staple, Harper Grey is perhaps the most BC-centric of the “highly recommended” firms, owing largely to the firm’s bench strength in several key areas.”
“Excellent response time, good talent from junior and intermediate to senior levels and reasonable service costs.”
“They exceeded all my expectations. I am very satisfied with their work and very happy to recommend them.”
“Harper Grey is one of the best firms in Vancouver. They have excellent service, knowledge and their cost structure is excellent.”
“A lawyer who refers work to Harper Grey wrote it has ‘great service, a breadth of practice and I have never received a negative comment from referrals to the firm’.”
“Harper Grey lawyers are ‘dedicated to their clients and focused on finding and implementing practical solutions for them. The lawyers are prompt, intelligent and insightful, and provide a high level of customer service’.”
“One source enthused about John Sullivan ‘His service to the client was exceptional’.”
“Every day it seems like I am dealing with someone at Harper Grey, and I always find them professional, courteous and effective.”
“They have been historically focused on insurance defense, but these days they are much more diverse. They dominate the medical practice cases in BC. They even have a couple of people involved in real niche specialties, such as high-end family law and securities”.
“Clients are comforted by the firm’s long history in British Columbia. ‘We’re steeped in the region. Our connection is such that we have knowledge of not only the issue itself, but the history of the issue in the province.” - Richard Bereti
News & Knowledge