William is Associate Counsel with Harper Grey and chair of our Wills & Estates Group. William is also a member of our Business Law and Estate Litigation Groups.
Contactwmacrae@harpergrey.com 604.895.2858 *William D. MacRae Law Corporation
AssistantSharon Barrett firstname.lastname@example.org
William focuses his practice on helping clients set up wills, trusts and use other tools that help them preserve wealth and transfer it to their beneficiaries in the way they want. At the same time, he advises them regarding the laws that could impact on what they want to do.
He carefully considers the entire estate including family businesses, real estate holdings, investment assets, family trusts, pensions and life insurance to provide a comprehensive view. He also reviews charitable intentions and discusses structures.
William often works with colleagues at trust companies and accounting firms to structure his services to provide comprehensive solutions for his clients.
Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating: 4.4 Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished
Recognized as a "Leading Lawyer" in the area of Trusts and Estates by Best Lawyers® in Canada, 2020-2023
Wills & Estates
- As claims under the Wills Variation Act are especially of concern in a second marriage situation, we have assisted some of our clients in setting up alter ego/joint partner trusts to deal with such Wills Variation Act issues
- The enhanced legal status of common law partners in the estate law area has meant that we now advise our clients to take into account family situations which were not of concern previously in doing their estate planning
- Assisting clients to minimize the probate fees payable to the government in light of the substantial increase in estate values due to housing price increases
- Ensuring that our clients have plans in place to deal with the possibility of a temporary or permanent incapacity
- Assisting individual clients with estate administration matters where the individual has no previous experience as executor
- University of British Columbia, LL.B., 1975
- University of Winnipeg, B.A., 1972
- British Columbia, 1976
- Arthritis Society of BC and Yukon, Past Director
- Harper Grey Wills & Estates Group, Chair
- Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch Subsections, Member:
- Wills and Trusts
- Estate Planning Council of Vancouver, Member
- The Law Society of British Columbia, Member