Bryan is Associate Counsel with Harper Grey and Co-Chair of our Defamation, Privacy & Media Law Group. He is also the past chair of our Commercial Litigation Group.
AssistantTammy Reid firstname.lastname@example.org
Bryan provides advice and acts as counsel with respect to corporate and commercial disputes and all issues relating to aviation, real estate, contract, tort and defamation litigation. He has extensive experience and has represented a number of financial institutions in appellate proceedings.
Recognized as a “Local Litigation Star” in British Columbia in the areas of Defamation, General Commercial and Insurance by Benchmark Canada®, 2013 - 2018
Recognized by Best Lawyers® in Canada as a "Leading Lawyer" in the areas of Defamation and Media Law, Insurance Law and Legal Malpractice Law, 2006 - 2023
Rated as a "Repeatedly Recommended Leading Practitioner" in the area of Litigation - Commercial Insurance by Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory®, 2014 - 2020
Named Vancouver "Lawyer of the Year" in the area of Defamation and Media Law by Best Lawyers® in Canada, 2013
Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating: 5.0 Martindale-Hubbell Preeminent
Inducted into the Litigation Counsel of America, 2011
Appointed Small Claims Adjudicator and Justice of the Peace by Province of British Columbia pursuant to Pilot project initiated by Chief Judge Hugh Stansfield, 2008 to present
Appointed Queen's Counsel in 1997, a designation that recognizes a lawyer's skill, contribution to the profession and to the justice system
"Recognition remains vibrant for firm figurehead Bryan Baynham, a veteran of commercial law as well as niche areas such as real estate, defamation, media and privacy."
"Bryan Baynham exemplifies the ways in which this firm has set itself apart. He attends to a variety of practice areas that he has really cornered a market on, like aviation and also defamation and media law."
"Bryan Baynham has a strong presence and remains active and upbeat. I always seem to have something going with him, confirms one peer."
"Peers vouch for Bryan Baynham's acumen, addressing him as a "worthy opponent, good on his feet, very skilled and seasoned."
- Representing airlines and operators in hull loss subrogated actions
- Representing the pilot, operator and underwriters in multiple actions for wrongful death, personal injury and property damage in a hot air balloon crash
- Representing an operator in a successful recovery action in British Columbia and instructing defence counsel in a Texas death claim arising out of a helicopter accident in British Columbia
- Representing a telephone company in a wrongful death claim and a hull recovery claim arising out of a helicopter colliding with a telephone line
- Representing defendants in the class action litigation following the collapse of two large financial institutions, Eron Mortgage Corporation and the Legion Credit Union
- Representing individuals and groups of purchasers disputing pre-sale contracts for the purchase of condominiums from real estate developers in British Columbia
- Successfully negotiating the return of all or part of the pre-sale purchase deposits to buyers who wanted to exercise their rights of rescission
Defamation & Breach of Privacy
- Advising publishers and media outlets concerning defamatory and potentially defamatory statements both before and after publication
- Successfully defending a vice principal and a school board in a seven-day jury trial involving defamatory remarks made on school property
- Representing an elite athlete in a defamation action involving remarks made about her in an email exchange
- Obtaining court orders requiring internet service providers to disclose the identity of people who post anonymous comments that defame clients and breach their rights to privacy
- Pursuing claims for breach of privacy and defamation against websites and individuals who post compromising photos and comments
- Acting for cabinet ministers, members of parliament, MLAs, mayors and councillors in a variety of defamation actions
- Representing the liquidator of the Christian Brothers of Ireland in Canada in ground breaking litigation to sell trust properties, including private schools, to satisfy outstanding claims for sexual abuse perpetrated by individual Christian Brothers at the Mount Cashel orphanage in Newfoundland. The liquidator ultimately made a recovery of $19 million by way of settlement.
- Representing Kuehne & Nagel International at the Supreme Court of Canada in a landmark decision which changed the law by allowing third parties to claim the benefit of an exclusion clause in a contract to which they were not a party. This case also explored the boundaries between the law of contract and the law of tort and is recognized as the seminal decision in the ongoing debate concerning vicarious liability.
- Representing an employer in a trial and appeal concerning vicarious liability for an independent contractor
- Representing a defendant in an 80-day securities/conspiracy trial commenced by a brokerage firm
- Representing brokerage firms and private individuals in various actions for negligence, breach of fiduciary duty, and fraud with respect to both on and off market securities transactions
- Representing Canadian, American and international insurers in actions including liability, damage, coverage, and subrogation claims
- Acting as counsel for the Canadian Life and Health Insurance Association in an action concerning the constitutional authority of the Province of British Columbia to regulate the telemarketing of credit insurance by banks
- Representing the life insurance industry in an appeal concerning the exigibility of annuities and in particular segregated funds where the debtor/bankrupt has designated a spouse or a member of his immediate family as beneficiary of the policy
- Representing professionals including lawyers, accountants, doctors, architects, engineers, real estate agents, appraisers and insurance agents with respect to claims for professional negligence, breach of fiduciary duty and fraud
Directors and Officers Insurance
- Representing individual directors in actions whereby either company shareholders or third parties seek recovery for breach of both statutory and common law duties arising out of an individual’s position as a director or officer of a company
- Advising a large international company concerning the wording and coverage provided by various layers of offshore excess insurance designed to protect directors and officers generally, and in particular their exposure to punitive damages both in Canada and the United States
- Assisting an insurance intermediary in drafting policy wording to provide directors and officers coverage for a nation-wide program for sporting organizations
University of Toronto, LL.B., 1972
University of Western Ontario, B.A. (Hons.), 1969
British Columbia, 1973
Appointed King’s Counsel, 1997
- Canadian Bar Association Special Committee on the Reform of Parliament, Past Member
- Harper Grey Defamation, Media & Privacy Law Group, Co-Chair
- Harper Grey Commercial Litigation Group, Past Chair
- Speaker for various industry and educational organizations including the Continuing Legal Education Society of BC, the Pacific Business and Law Institute and the Society of Notaries Public of BC
- Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch Subsections, Member:
- Aviation Law
- The Law Society of British Columbia, Member