Cameron is a Partner with Harper Grey and chair of our Construction & Engineering Law Group. Cameron’s civil litigation practice is diverse, spanning the areas of health law, construction, commercial litigation, and real estate disputes.
Contactcelder@harpergrey.com 604.895.2815 *Cameron Elder Law Corporation
AssistantAndrea Gordon firstname.lastname@example.org
In his health law practice, Cameron has many years of experience assisting, advising and defending physicians in medical malpractice claims and in matters relating to professional and ethical conduct.
Cameron’s construction law practice is primarily focused on defending engineers and architects against error and omissions claims, and advising on risk management, including contracts, insurance, and pre-litigation dispute resolution.
He has many years’ experience defending and prosecuting construction defect and delay claims relating to public infrastructure, and residential and commercial developments. He acts for consultants, owners, and contractors. He has particular expertise dealing with geotechnical claims arising out of erosion, differential settlement, landslides, and drainage.
Cameron advises owners, general contractors, and consultants on commercial and real estate disputes involving CPLs, builder’s liens, easements, restrictive covenants, purchase and sale disputes, and strata disputes.
Cameron has appeared in all levels of BC courts.
Cameron grew up in Halifax, Nova Scotia and obtained an undergraduate degree in Biology and International Development from Dalhousie University.
Recognized as a "Leading Lawyer" in the area of Product Liability Law by Best Lawyers® in Canada, 2022
Recognized as a "Leading Lawyer" in the area of Corporate and Commercial Law by Best Lawyers® in Canada, 2020-2021
Recognized as a "Leading Lawyer" in the area of Construction Law by Best Lawyers® in Canada, 2020-2023
Rated as a "Leading Practitioner" in the area of Construction Law by Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory®, 2022
Rising Stars - Leading Lawyers Under 40 award recipient, Lexpert®, 2018
Recognized as a “Local Litigation Star” in the area of Construction Law by Benchmark Canada®, 2020, 2022-2023
40 and Under Hot List - Leading Lawyers Under 40 award recipient, Benchmark Canada®, 2018
Recognized as a “Future Star” in British Columbia by Benchmark Canada®, 2018-2021
Recognized as a "Leading Lawyer to Watch" in Construction Law by Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory®, 2019
Cameron “quickly grasps the technical complexities and providing not only legal advice, but timely and helpful strategic advice for members of our organization in addressing various matters including ongoing relations with the potential defendants.”
“Cameron Elder has been excellent in connecting directly with the different persons in our organization to gather information and support them with their questions, as well as providing clear plans and next steps.”
"Cameron Elder and Chris Rusnak are excellent lawyers and honorable people. We found them to be very personable and responsive to change."
"[An] excellent lawyer and honorable person. [He is] very personable and responsive to change."
"On the younger end of the spectrum, Cameron Elder receives near-unanimous acclaim for his hybrid practice that touches on medical negligence claims and construction/engineering claims."
"Cam Elder is coming up strong, he just picked up a big book of business."
“Cam Elder is a very knowledgeable lawyer and I trust his assessment and strategy plans to bring the matter to a close.”
“A distinguishing feature of Cameron Elder’s civil litigation practice is its emphasis on complex disputes, generally involving millions of dollars, in two areas – construction and health law.”
Construction and Engineering Law
- Defending engineers and architects against breach of contract and negligence claims arising out of their provision of professional services
- Assisting owners and contractors with disputes over payment and/or deficiency claims
- Providing advice on contractual and insurance issues
- Drafting, filing or disputing certificates pending litigation
- Assisting clients with constructive trust claims
- Assisting clients with disputes over surveys, restrictive covenants, and nuisance issues
- Assisting clients with disputes arising out of the purchase and sale of property
- Shareholder disputes including oppression remedies
- Breach of contract claims
- Enforcement of judgments and equitable tracing
- Lawyer fee disputes
- Assisting, advising and defending physicians in medical malpractice claims
- Assisting physicians with hospital privileges and contract disputes with provincial health authorities
- Assisting physicians with issues of professional and ethical conduct
- University of Victoria, LL.B., 2005
- Dalhousie University, B.Sc., 2000
- British Columbia, 2007
- Contemporary Canadian Insurance Law Casebook, 2015, Published by LexisNexis® Canada, Contributing Author
- Harper Grey Canadian Insurance Law Blog, Contributing Author
- Harper Grey Construction & Engineering Law Group, Chair
- Harper Grey Health Law Group, Associate Chair
- Harper Grey Insurance Law Update Newsletter, Contributing Author
- Harper Grey Mentoring Program, Mentor
- LexisNexis® Harper Grey Insurance Law Netletter™, Contributing Author
- Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch Subsections, Member:
- Real Property Subsection
- The Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Urban Land Institute, Past Member
- Access Justice Legal Clinic, Past Pro Bono Volunteer