Faraz has a diverse background advising clients on various litigation issues. A significant amount of his expertise pertains to providing counsel on commercial and construction law matters, including contractual disputes, builder’s liens, shareholder disputes, and fiduciary duty disputes.
He routinely assists senior lawyers with complex commercial litigation files and has assisted with proceedings before all levels of court in British Columbia and Ontario, including the Supreme Court of Canada for multiple proceedings. Faraz has developed a keen interest in the analytical rigour required by appellate advocacy.
Outside of the office, Faraz is an avid soccer player. He spent 2 years as a BC premier level soccer player while attending Simon Fraser University and completing his undergraduate degree.
Faraz also takes pride in being active in the community. He works closely with First Nations in BC and spends his time volunteering at Potlatches and other Indigenous ceremonies. In 2016, Faraz was given the honour of being named an adopted member of the Musgamagw Dzawada’enuxw First Nation of British Columbia. This longstanding relationship with the Indigenous peoples of BC has fostered Faraz’s desire to continue building expertise pertaining to Aboriginal law, and he looks forward to serving Indigenous people in this respect.
- Advising subcontractors on breach of contract and negligence claims arising out of their provision of professional services.
- Advising contractors and owners with disputes over payment and/or deficiency claims on large-scale multi-party projects with alleged damages in excess of $100 million.
- Providing advice on contractual issues in multi-party settings.
- Shareholder disputes including claims in oppression and derivative actions.
- Breach of contract claims.
- Fiduciary duty disputes including claims related to seizing the corporate opportunity and other similar allegations.
- Claims involving civil fraud and conspiracy.
- Conducted legal research and assisted with preparing factum for Trinity Western University v Law Society of Upper Canada, 2018 SCC 33.
- Conducted legal research and assisted in preparing leave application to Supreme Court of Canada for Canadian National Railway Company v Thunder Bay (City), 2018 ONCA 517.
- Conducted legal research, assisted in preparing leave application and factum for Owners, Strata Plan LMS 3905 v Crystal Square Parking Corp, 2020 SCC 29.
- Dalhousie Schulich School of Law, J.D., 2018
- Simon Fraser University, B.A. (hons), 2014
- British Columbia, 2019
- Ontario, 2019
- Member, The Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch
- Member, The Advocates Society