Guy is a Partner with Harper Grey and practices in the areas of health, insurance, professional regulation and administrative law.
Contactgbrown@harpergrey.com 604.895.2804 *Guy P. Brown Law Corporation
AssistantMelissa Olson email@example.com
Guy has represented clients in all levels of court, including the Supreme Court of Canada.
His civil litigation practice focuses on professional negligence and major personal injury claims and providing insurance coverage opinions.
In the regulatory side of his practice, Guy advocates on behalf of physicians in hearings before the College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia and the Medical Services Commission of British Columbia.
A leader in the profession, Guy often speaks at continuing education seminars in the legal, medical and insurance realms. He has served on the firm’s management committee and also as chair of our health law and insurance law groups.
Recognized as a "Lawyer of the Year" in the area of Health Care Law by Best Lawyers® in Canada, 2021
Named as a "Leading Lawyer" in the area of Healthcare Law (Nationwide-Canada) by Chambers Canada®, 2019-2023
Recognized as a "Lawyer of the Year" in the area of Health Care Law by Best Lawyers® in Canada, 2018
Recognized as a "Leading Lawyer" in the area of Health Care Law, Insurance Law and Medical Negligence by Best Lawyers® in Canada, 2014 - 2023
Rated as a "Repeatedly Recommended Leading Practitioner" in the areas of Personal Injury (Represents Defendant) and Litigation - Commercial Insurance by the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory®, 2014 - 2023
Recognized as a “Local Litigation Star” in British Columbia in the areas of Insurance and Professional Liability by Benchmark Canada®, 2013 - 2022
Rated as a "Consistently Recommended Leading Practitioner" in the area of Medical Negligence (Represents Defendants) by the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory®, 2014 - 2023
Guy Brown, KC recognized in 2016 for his prolific volunteer contributions by The Continuing Legal Education Society of BC
Appointed King's Counsel in 2012, a designation that recognizes a lawyer's skill, contribution to the profession and to the justice system
Recognized as a "Lawyer of the Year" in the area of Insurance Law by Best Lawyers® in Canada, 2020
“Guy is an excellent advocate.” “His knowledge is exemplary.”
"Guy is highly regarded by sources for his skillful courtroom advocacy. His civil practice includes professional negligence, medical malpractice and personal injury, as well as insurance coverage mandates."
“He can argue the merits of a complex legal issue, understand the business context and assist clients of any level of expertise in navigating a situation.”
"They've got some real gems. Kimberly Jakeman, Guy Brown, James Lepp, Karen Douglas, Abigail Turner – I've seen all of these people on occasion and I've been very impressed. These cases are not easy to cope with – they involve a lot of factual evidence you wish you didn't have to hear – but from what I've witnessed the Harper Grey team has done a very commendable job of providing assured, steady counsel in cases where it would be easy for those with less backbone and less adequate acumen to falter."
- Trial and appeal of a medical malpractice claim involving performance of an additional procedure not contemplated in advance of surgery, Goodwin v. Brady
Commercial and Social Host Liquor Liability
- Successful appeal of the first decision in British Columbia where social hosts were found liable for injuries caused by an impaired driver who had consumed alcohol at their home, Prevost (Committee of) v. Vetter
- A BC Court of Appeal matter dealing with foreseeability of harm as a component of an action in negligence, Newton v. Newton
- Co-counsel for the Insurance Corporation of BC (ICBC) in a Supreme Court of Canada matter relating to a judgment in which the BC Court of Appeal held the Attorney General vicariously liable to pay damages resulting from the death of a driver in a crash that occurred during a police chase of a stolen car. The appeal was dismissed, Attorney General of British Columbia v. ICBC
- Acting for ICBC in an appeal dealing with the effect of a wilfully false statement made by an insured in respect to a claim, Brown v. ICBC
- Acting for ICBC in an appeal which serves as a leading decision regarding coverage for losses arising out of the use or operation of a motor vehicle, Chan v. ICBC
Assessment of Damages
- Appearing at the Supreme Court of Canada in a leading case regarding deductibility of disability benefits from damage awards for loss of income, Cunningham v. Wheeler
- Appearing at the Supreme Court of Canada in a leading decision dealing with deductibility of social assistance benefits from damage awards for loss of income M.B. v. British Columbia,
- Representing a client in a leading decision of the BC Court of Appeal regarding circumstances where a plaintiff dies after trial but before judgment Monahan v. Nelson
- Representing a client in a leading decision of the BC Court of Appeal regarding deductibility of financial benefits resulting from remarriage from an award of damages under the Family Compensation Act, Skelding v. Skelding
- Representing a client in a leading decision of the BC Court of Appeal dealing with awards for loss of care and guidance under the Family Compensation Act, Bianco Estate v. Fromow
- Acting in a BC Court of Appeal matter which determined that trial judges should not instruct juries as to an appropriate range of non-pecuniary damages Brisson v. Brisson
- Counsel in a BC Supreme Court matter dealing with circumstances where a settlement offer was purportedly accepted by the deceased claiment’s representatives after her death, Moss v. Chin
- Counsel in a decision of the BC Court of Appeal dealing with the entitlement to a medical examination under the Rules of Court where a previous examination has been performed in the context of a claim for insurance accident benefits, Vorasarn v. Manning
- University of British Columbia, LL.B., 1982
- University of British Columbia, B.Comm, 1981
- Appointed King’s Counsel 2012
- British Columbia, 1983
- BC Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Manual – Chapters on Uninsured Motorists and Part 7 Benefits, published by the Continuing Legal Education Society of BC (CLE), Author (1992 – current)
- BC Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Manual, Editorial Board Member (2003 – current)
- Civil Trial Handbook, Chapter on Jury Trials, published by CLE, Author (2003, 2005, 2010, 2015)
- Harper Grey Executive Technology Team, ETT Liaison Partner
- Harper Grey Health Law Group, Past Chair
- Harper Grey Insurance Law Group, Past Chair
- Harper Grey Privacy Committee, Member
- Insurance Brokers Association of BC, the BC Insurance Adjusters Association, the Insurance Corporation of BC, the Trial Lawyers Association of BC, the UBC Faculty of Medicine, the Canadian Medical Protective Association and Yukon Medical Association, Seminar Speaker
- Quickscribe Services Ltd., Former Health Law Annotation Contributor
- University of British Columbia Faculty of Law, Advanced Trial Advocacy Course, since 2001, Past Instructor
- The Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch Subsections, Member:
- Health Law
- Insurance Law