Jennifer joined Harper Grey in 2022, as a member of our Business Law and Real Estate groups. She is also the Co-Chair of the firm’s Real Estate Group. With more than two decades of experience focused on commercial real estate law and business law, clients appreciate the business acumen Jennifer has built working shoulder to shoulder with business, real estate and other professionals.
After practicing commercial real estate law for ten years at a national firm, Jennifer transitioned to a role as in-house counsel for a prominent commercial real estate developer, Larco Investments. In that role, she led the In-House legal department within a highly diverse portfolio, primarily focused on commercial leasing, development, lending and general counsel work including the complex leasing program for the redevelopment of Park Royal Shopping Centre.
Returning to private practice after five years, Jennifer continued to build her expertise and support clients through a wide range of complex transactions that included leasing, acquisitions, sales, subdivisions, development, strata conversions, financing, infrastructure and P3s.
Her cross-disciplinary practice gives her a unique appreciation for the risk and rewards of real estate which informs the advice she provides to her clients. She knows firsthand what business people need from their legal counsel. And delivers on her well-earned reputation for thinking like a business partner and providing innovative and practical solutions to her clients’ issues. Jennifer is exceptional at simplifying complex issues and communicating concisely in business language.
An avid writer, Jennifer is the author of many articles published by The Continuing Legal Education Society of BC (CLEBC). She is also a prolific speaker, presenting at various legal and real estate industry events and conferences.
Passionate about community involvement and giving back to her profession, Jennifer is active in the legal community and continuously volunteers her time to charitable and pro bono services including Access Pro Bono.
Practicing primarily in the area of Commercial Real Estate, Jennifer’s experience spans a wide range of complex transactions pertaining to commercial real estate including:
Development: Development of all types of real estate projects including:
- ownership structures including REIT’s, Limited Partnerships and Trusts;
- acquisition and disposition of development sites, including land assemblies and disposition of partially completed projects;
- conventional and air space subdivisions for residential, industrial and commercial projects, as well as leasehold stratas and developments on First Nations lands;
- strata/condominium matters, including mixed-use structures and challenges such as common facility uses, cost-sharing and phasing;
- municipal matters including advising on approvals and permits, drafting and negotiating a wide range of covenants, easements and land title encumbrances;
- industrial, residential and mixed-use developments with both commercial and residential components, inclusive of market and non-market rental housing;
- unique challenging development transactions including strata conversions, collapse of stratas and co-ownership properties, fractional interests and distressed properties;
- preparing disclosure statements for phased, fractional, timeshare and conventional/bare-land strata sales;
- construction and general financing for borrowers and a diverse range of lenders from major institutional lenders to mortgage investment corporations and private lenders; and
- conveyance of completed development lots or interests;
Real Estate Transactions: Acquisitions and dispositions of real estate assets including:
- sale/leasebacks of large scale assets such as office buildings, hotels and resort properties;
- complex titles such as consolidating time shares, strata conversions, collapsing stratas and land assemblies; and
- unique dispotions such as acting for receivers and trustees in bankruptcy to manage, develop and sell distressed properties and projects and those under order for sale.
Commercial Leasing: Acting for both landlords and tenants with respect to:
- leases of retail, commercial and industrial properties and the negotiation and drafting of commercial lease documents including modifications, renewals and non-disturbance agreements; and
- day to day advice regarding lease administration, lease interpretation and day to day leasing advice and enforcement matters.
Lending: Acting for borrowers, institutional and private lenders on real estate backed financing, including CMHC backed loans such as the MLI Flex program for market rental projects.
Construction: Acting primarily for developers, builders and owners in negotiating construction management, general contracting and subcontract agreements.
- Undergraduate Studies at University of Glasgow and University of British Columbia
- University of British Columbia, L.L.B., 2002
- British Columbia, 2003
- Member, Commercial Real Estate Women’s Network (CREW)
- Volunteer, Harper Grey Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging Committee
- Founder, Director, Anayas Angels
- Volunteer, Lawyers Assistance Program of British Columbia
- Volunteer, Access Pro Bono
- Volunteer, West Vancouver Minor Hockey Association
- Volunteer, North West Vancouver Ringette Association
- Former Trustee, Vancouver Waldorf School
- Former Committee Member, Commercial Women in Real Estate (CREW)
- Member, Law Society British Columbia
- Former Chair and Legislative Liaison, CBA Real Estate Subsection