Jennifer is a partner with Harper Grey. She is the assistant chair of the Insurance Group and a member of the Health Law Group. She is also the past chair of the Associates Committee and a busy mentor to students, paralegals and associates in the firm.
Jennifer has a wealth of experience in handling complex bodily injury claims. She has defended physicians in medical malpractice claims in all levels of court in BC. She acts for clients ranging from large shopping centres and grocery store chains to small businesses and homeowners. She also represents manufacturers and distributors in products liability actions. Jennifer defends property claims and acts as counsel on excess auto liability claims.
Jennifer has appeared at all levels of Court in British Columbia.
Jennifer is a frequent speaker at both in-house and client seminars on a wide range of topics.
Jennifer received the prestigious Lexpert® Rising Stars – Leading Lawyers Under 40 award in 2014, chosen from among hundreds of nominees across Canada. Lexperts’ Rising Stars award recognizes legal leaders under the age of 40 based on criteria such as leadership, professional achievements, business acumen, adaptability, teamwork and interpersonal skills.
An active volunteer, Jennifer is a director of the B.C. Chapter of the Women in Insurance Cancer Crusade, which raises funds for cancer research.
Recognized as a "Leading Lawyer" in the area of Personal Injury Litigation Law by Best Lawyers® in Canada, 2021-2022
Recognized as a “Local Litigation Star” in British Columbia in the areas of Health law and Insurance Law by Benchmark Canada®, 2017-2022
Recognized as a "Leading Lawyer" in the area of Insurance Law by Best Lawyers® in Canada, 2017 - 2022
Rated as a "Repeatedly Recommended Leading Practitioner" in the area of Litigation - Commercial Insurance by the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory®, 2017, 2022
Rated as a "Consistently Recommended Leading Practitioner" in the area of Medical Negligence by the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory®, 2022
2014, Lexpert® Rising Stars – Leading Lawyers Under 40 award recipient
Recognized as a “Future Star” in British Columbia in the areas of Health law and Insurance Law by Benchmark Canada®, 2015 - 2016
- Advises clients on a wide variety of risk management topics
- Successfully defending a landlord at trial and on appeal against allegations of vicarious liability for an employee’s sexual assault of a tenant
- Successfully defending property managers in one of the leading cases in BC dealing with the relationship between the Building Code and the Occupier’s Liability Act
- Successfully defending a high school student at trial against allegations that he negligently injured another student in class
- Successfully defending insurance brokers at trial in broker liability cases
- Assisting senior counsel in the leading case in BC considering the allocation of fault in a contractual setting
- Facilitating the resolution of matters at mediation
- Provides advice to health care professionals regarding risk mitigation
- Successfully defending dentists and physicians at trial and on appeal against allegations of breach of standard of care, causation and lack of informed consent
- University of Victoria, J.D., 2001
- Simon Fraser University, B.A., 1998
- British Columbia, 2002
- Volunteer Adviser, Life In Law
- Mentor, Harper Grey Mentoring Program
- Assistant Chair, Harper Grey Insurance Law Group
- Director, Women in Insurance Cancer Crusade, BC Chapter
- Member, ReferToHer
- Member, Canadian Defence Lawyers
- Member, Defence Research Institute
- Member, Medical Legal Society of BC
- Member, The Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch Subsections:
- Civil Litigation
- Health Law
- Insurance Law