JoAnne practices in the areas of Insurance, Health, Regulatory, and Aboriginal Law. Her insurance practice includes both subrogation and defence work. She acts for insurers pursuing subrogated actions in property damage claims, and defends insurers in matters involving property disputes, bodily injury claims, and professional negligence.
In her health law practice, JoAnne assists medical professionals in a variety of settings. She defends medical professionals in malpractice claims, and also represents them in matters involving their respective Colleges, the Human Rights Tribunal, the Office of the Privacy Commissioner, and other tribunals.
JoAnne also acts for First Nations in matters involving disputes on reserve. JoAnne has appeared at all levels of court in British Columbia as well as Federal Court. She has also appeared before numerous tribunals.
JoAnne was called to the bar in 2014 after summering and articling with Harper Grey. Prior to joining Harper Grey, she interned at the Legal Services Board of Nunavut and was a student clinician at the UBC Indigenous Community Legal Clinic.
JoAnne is active in the legal community. She works with Access Pro Bono as duty counsel to provide free summary legal advice to low-income individuals, and is a supervising lawyer for the Law Students Legal Advice program.
Named as Ones to Watch in the areas of Insurance Law and Medical Negligence in Vancouver by Best Lawyers in Canada® 2024
Named as Ones to Watch by Best Lawyers in Canada® 2022
Named as Ones to Watch by Best Lawyers in Canada® 2023
- University of British Columbia, J.D., 2013
- Simon Fraser University, B.A. (Hons.) Sociology and Anthropology, 2010
- British Columbia, 2014
- Administrative Justice: A Practitioner’s Guide, Published by LexisNexis® Canada, Contributing Author (2016)
- Contemporary Canadian Insurance Law Casebook, Published by LexisNexis® Canada, Contributing Author (2015)
- Harper Grey Administrative Law Observer Newsletter, Contributing Author
- Harper Grey Canadian Administrative Law Blog, Contributing Author
- Harper Grey Canadian Insurance Law Blog, Contributing Author
- Harper Grey Insurance Law Update Newsletter, Contributing Author
- Law Courts Inn Society, Director
- Law Students Legal Advice Program, Past Supervising Lawyer
- LexisNexis® Harper Grey Administrative Law Netletter™, Contributing Author
- LexisNexis® Harper Grey Insurance Law Netletter™, Contributing Author
- Life in Law, Guest Blogger
- UBC Law Alumni Association, Board Member
- Vancouver Chambers Choir Board of Directors, Member (2017)
- Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch, Member
- Vancouver Bar Association, Member
- Access Pro Bono, Past Volunteer