Kim thrives as a legal practitioner due in large part to the fulfillment she finds in the cultivation of positive relationships with colleagues and clients.
AssistantShane Ng email@example.com
With over a decade of experience representing clients in both BC and Alberta, and across a range of industries, Kim brings a unique and informed perspective to each of her files.
Anchoring her practice in health and insurance law has provided Kim with the foundation to develop specific niche expertise in areas such as administrative, regulatory and disciplinary law, privacy law, and the emerging area of fertility law.
In her insurance practice, Kim provides risk management advice and represents clients in a variety of claims arising from excess automobile insurance policies, homeowners’ policies, product liability claims, slips and falls, and complex personal injury actions. She acts for insurance companies as well as self-insured businesses including numerous large retail chains.
In her health law practice, Kim represents physicians in civil actions, coroners’ inquests, and in matters before the College of Physicians and Surgeons. She also provides advice to physicians on a wide range of medical legal matters. Kim’s practice has evolved to include a focus on privacy issues and she often assists physicians and other professionals with navigating privacy breaches.
Kim has created a name for herself in the relatively new area of fertility law. Her work in this area focuses on cases concerning various technological developments that are advancing more quickly than the law. Her agile thinking and adaptability allow her to keep up to speed in this cutting-edge area of law.
Kim is no stranger to the courtroom and has appeared as counsel at all levels of Court in British Columbia and before various regulatory bodies. With her varied experience and ability to provide creative and out of the box solutions to her clients’ diverse issues, it’s easy to see why Kim is viewed by her peers as a leader in her field.
For Kim, success stems from well-balanced contributions to both her profession and community. She has been involved with various organizations dating back to her time at law school and continues to participate in philanthropic endeavors that benefit those in need around her. She also proudly serves as a volunteer adviser for Life in Law, a free and confidential support forum that aims to stem the exodus of women from the practice of law. Kim is also an Adjunct Professor at the University of Victoria Faculty of Law, where she teaches an upper-year health law course.
Recognized as a "Leading Lawyer to Watch" in the area of Litigation - Commercial Insurance by the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory®, 2017
2016, Lexpert® Rising Stars - Leading Lawyers Under 40 award recipient
Recognized as a “Future Star” in British Columbia by Benchmark Canada®, 2019-2022
- Representing regional, national and multinational insurance companies, and self-insured organizations such as major retail chains
- Commercial general liability
- Casualty claims
- Coverage issues
- Automobile accidents
- Occupiers liability matters
- Defending physicians against allegations of medical negligence
- Judicial Clerkship, Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench, 2007
- University of Alberta, LL.B., 2006
- Alberta, 2007
- British Columbia, 2008
- Alberta Law Review, Editorial Board, Member
- Canadian Bar Association British Columbia, Law Student Mentorship Program, Volunteer
- Contemporary Canadian Insurance Law Casebook, Published by LexisNexis® Canada, Contributing Author (2015)
- Harper Grey Articling Students Committee, Past Co-Chair
- Harper Grey Associates Committee, Past Chair
- Harper Grey Canadian Insurance Law Blog, Contributing Author
- Harper Grey Insurance Law Update Newsletter, Contributing Author
- Harper Grey Mentoring Program, Mentor
- Harper Grey Retail Case Law Update, Author
- Harper Grey Student Recruitment Committee, Former Co-Chair
- LexisNexis® Harper Grey Insurance Law Netletter™, Contributing Author
- University of Victoria Faculty of Law, Adjunct Professor
- University of Victoria Faculty of Law, Former Sessional Instructor
- Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch Subsections, Member:
- Civil Litigation
- Health Law
- Insurance Law
- Canadian Bar Association Health Section, Member at Large
- Canadian Bar Association Privacy and Access Law Section, Member at Large
- The Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- CatNap Society, Volunteer
- BC Guide Dogs, Volunteer
- Life in Law, Volunteer Advisor
- VICD Service Dogs, Volunteer