With over fifteen years of experience representing clients in both BC and Alberta, and across a range of industries, Kim brings a unique and informed perspective to each of her files.
In her insurance practice, Kim provides risk management advice and represents clients in a variety of claims. She has wealth of experience with litigating claims arising in the insurance context. She acts for insurance companies as well as self-insured businesses including numerous large retail chains. She is well versed with respect to issues related to automobile insurance policies, excess policies, homeowners’ policies, commercial policies, product liability claims, slips and falls, and complex personal injury actions involving traumatic brain injuries and spinal cord injuries.
In her health law practice, Kim represents physicians in civil actions, coroners’ inquests, and in matters before the College of Physicians and Surgeons. She also provides advice to physicians on a wide range of medical legal matters. Kim has assisted physicians and other professionals with navigating privacy breaches.
Kim has appeared as counsel at all levels of Court in British Columbia and before various regulatory bodies.
Kim is also a practicing mediator. Throughout her tenure as a lawyer, she has seen firsthand the pivotal role that a mediator can play in the success of a mediation and the client experience in the mediation process.
For Kim, success stems from well-balanced contributions to both her profession and community. She has been involved with various organizations dating back to her time at law school and continues to participate in philanthropic endeavors that benefit those in need around her. She also proudly serves as a volunteer adviser for Life in Law, a free and confidential support forum that aims to stem the exodus of women from the practice of law. Kim is also an Adjunct Professor at the University of Victoria Faculty of Law, where she teaches an upper-year health law course.
In 2023 Kim was appointed to the Canadian Bar Association of BC Advisory to Judicial Council Committee. The Advisory to Judicial Council Committee assists the Judicial Council of British Columbia in assessing applicants for the Provincial Court Bench.
Recognized as a "Leading Lawyer" in the areas of Health Care Law, Insurance Law, and Personal Injury Litigation by Best Lawyers® in Canada, 2024
Recognized as a "Leading Lawyer to Watch" in the area of Litigation - Commercial Insurance by the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory®, 2017
2016, Lexpert® Rising Stars - Leading Lawyers Under 40 award recipient
Recognized as a “Future Star” in British Columbia by Benchmark Canada®, 2019-2023
- Representing regional, national and multinational insurance companies, and self-insured organizations such as major retail chains
- Commercial general liability
- Casualty claims
- Coverage issues
- Automobile accidents
- Occupiers liability matters
- Defending physicians against allegations of medical negligence
- Judicial Clerkship, Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench, 2007
- University of Alberta, LL.B., 2006
- Pepperdine University, Mediating the Litigated Case Course, 2023
- Alberta, 2007
- British Columbia, 2008
- Alberta Law Review, Editorial Board, Member
- Canadian Bar Association British Columbia, Law Student Mentorship Program, Volunteer
- Canadian Bar Association British Columbia Advisory to Judicial Council Committee, Appointed Member (2023)
- Contemporary Canadian Insurance Law Casebook, Published by LexisNexis® Canada, Contributing Author (2015)
- Harper Grey Articling Students Committee, Past Co-Chair
- Harper Grey Associates Committee, Past Chair
- Harper Grey Canadian Insurance Law Blog, Contributing Author
- Harper Grey Insurance Law Update Newsletter, Contributing Author
- Harper Grey Mentoring Program, Mentor
- Harper Grey Retail Case Law Update, Author
- Harper Grey Student Recruitment Committee, Former Co-Chair
- LexisNexis® Harper Grey Insurance Law Netletter™, Contributing Author
- University of Victoria Faculty of Law, Adjunct Professor
- University of Victoria Faculty of Law, Former Sessional Instructor
- Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch Subsections, Member:
- Civil Litigation
- Health Law
- Insurance Law
- Canadian Bar Association Health Section, Member at Large
- Canadian Bar Association Privacy and Access Law Section, Member at Large
- The Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- CatNap Society, Volunteer
- BC Guide Dogs, Volunteer
- Life in Law, Volunteer Advisor
- VICD Service Dogs, Volunteer