Maureen has been a qualified Family Law Mediator since 1985.
New qualifications for family law alternate dispute resolution accreditation came into effect on March 18, 2013 along with the new Family Law Act. In keeping with the new requirements, Maureen received Law Society accreditation to act as a Family Law Arbitrator, Parenting Coordinator and Family Law Mediator.
In her family law practice, Maureen focuses on wealth preservation, including business and trust valuation issues, support issues and division of assets.
The issues associated with family law matters require a lawyer to be readily accessible to clients and able to act swiftly when the need arises. Maureen has carefully structured her practice in order to ensure that her time is flexible and that she is available to her clients.
Maureen’s professional negligence defence experience includes representing lawyers and financial planners.
Recognized as a "Leading Lawyer" in the area of Family Law by Best Lawyers® in Canada, 2014 - 2023
Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating: 4.5 Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished
Appointed King's Counsel in 2011, a designation that recognizes a lawyer's skill, contribution to the profession and to the justice system
Rated as a "Repeatedly Recommended Leading Practitioner" in the area of Family Law by Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory®, 2018
- Maureen helps clients with family law disputes involving financial, custody, business, real estate and related issues
- Assisting a business owner with a considerable portfolio of commercial properties to successfully retain control and ownership of those properties in the division of assets
- Acting as a mediator, assisting a couple to clarify and document agreements reached and negotiate a resolution to outstanding issues swiftly and at minimum cost. This was quickly approved by their independent legal counsel. The parties maintained their privacy and an amicable relationship for the benefit of their children.
- University of British Columbia, LL.B., 1982
- University of British Columbia, B.A., 1979
- Centre for Dispute Resolution, Boulder, Colorado, mediation training
- Continuing Legal Education Society of BC, mediation training
- BC International Commercial Arbitration Centre, mediation training
- Justice Institute of B.C., mediation training
- Appointed King’s Counsel, 2011
- British Columbia, 1983
- Family Law Mediator, The Law Society of British Columbia (2013)
- Family Law Arbitrator, The Law Society of British Columbia (2013)
- Parenting Coordinator, The Law Society of British Columbia (2013)
- Autism Society of British Columbia, Former Director (2000 – 2017)
- British Columbia Family Practice Manual, published by the Continuing Legal Education Society of BC, Contributing Author
- British Columbia Supreme Court Civil and Family Rules Committee, Committee Member
- Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch Family Law Subsection, Former Executive Committee Member and Treasurer
- Family Law Agreements Manual, published by the Continuing Legal Education Society of BC, Consultant
- Family Law Restatement for British Columbia, a publication of the Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch Family Law Subsection and the Continuing Legal Education Society of BC, Contributing Author
- Harper Grey Family Law Group, Chair
- Harper Grey Mentoring Program, Mentor
- Professional Legal Training Course (Bar Admission Course) materials, Contributing Author
- West Vancouver Youth Band, Former Director (2012 – 2016)
- BC Parenting Coordinators Roster Society, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch, Member
- The Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Life In Law, Volunteer Adviser