Scott works with employers and employees on a wide variety of workplace issues, including:
- Workplace investigations
- Providing strategic advice regarding difficult workplace topics such as sexual harassment, sexual assault, and accommodation of mental and physical disabilities
- Providing strategic advice and representing clients in disputes regarding non-solicitation and non-compete matters
- Representing employers and employees in litigation, including in the BC Supreme Court, the Employment Standards Branch, and WorkSafeBC
- Drafting and enforcing employment contracts, workplace policies, etc.
Scott is one of our in-house authorities on human rights law and has successfully represented clients before the British Columbia Human Rights Tribunal. These cases include allegations of sexual assault and sexual harassment in the workplace and in healthcare settings.
Scott also assists physicians, pharmacists, naturopathic doctors, physiotherapists, massage therapists, occupational therapists, psychologists, social workers, dentists, chiropractors, traditional Chinese medicine practitioners and other health professionals in both civil and regulatory matters. The regulatory matters include College complaints, College investigations, MSC billing audits, PharmaCare audits, private insurer audits (e.g. Pacific Blue Cross, Canada Life, ClaimSecure, Sun Life, etc.), and criminal investigations. The civil matters include defending professionals against allegations of sexual assault, sexual battery, and sexual harassment.
Scott’s experience in the professional regulation and workplace environments uniquely positions him to assist health professionals navigate the complexities of the workplace setting in a professionally regulated framework.
Scott joined the firm in 2008 after completing his articles with Harper Grey. During law school, Scott completed a semester at The University of Leiden, Netherlands and won the prize for the highest mark in his Insurance Law class. Originally from Burnaby, BC, Scott completed his undergraduate degree in criminology at Simon Fraser University.
Recognized as a "Future Star" in British Columbia by Benchmark Canada®, 2020, 2022-2023
Recognized as a "Lawyer to Watch" in the area of Employment Law by Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory®, 2020
Recognized as a "Leading Lawyer" in the area of Health Care Law by Best Lawyers® in Canada, 2022-2024
Recipient of Lexpert® 2019 Rising Stars – Leading Lawyers Under 40 award
- University of British Columbia, LL.B., 2007
- Simon Fraser University, B.A., 2004
- British Columbia, 2008
- Administrative Justice: A Practitioner’s Guide, Published by LexisNexis® Canada, Contributing Author (2016)
- Harper Grey Administrative Law Observer Newsletter, Contributing Author (2008 – current)
- Harper Grey Associates Committee, Chair (2017 – 2018)
- Harper Grey Canadian Administrative Law Blog, Contributing Author (2008 – current)
- Harper Grey Executive Technology Team, ETT Liaison Partner (2019 – current)
- Harper Grey Mentoring Program, Mentor
- Harper Grey Respectful Workplace Committee, Member
- Harper Grey Workplace Law Group, Chair (2016 – current)
- Harper Grey Workplace Law Strategies Blog, Contributing Author
- LexisNexis® Harper Grey Administrative Law Netletter™, Contributing Author (2008 – current)
- Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch Subsections, Member:
- Human Rights
- CPHR BC & Yukon (formerly HRMA), Member
- The Law Society of British Columbia, Member