Scott works with employers and employees on a wide variety of workplace issues, including:
- Wrongful dismissals
- Workplace investigations
- Drafting and enforcing employment contracts for both management and employees
- Providing strategic advice regarding issues involving restraints of trade, restrictive covenants, non-solicitation and non-compete matters.
Scott is one of our in-house authorities on human rights law and has successfully represented clients before the British Columbia Human Rights Tribunal.
Scott also assists physicians, pharmacists, naturopathic doctors, physiotherapists, massage therapists, occupational therapists, psychologists, social workers, dentists, chiropractors, traditional Chinese medicine practitioners and other health professionals in both civil and regulatory matters. The regulatory matters include College complaints, College investigations, MSC billing audits, PharmaCare audits, private insurer audits (e.g. Pacific Blue Cross, Canada Life, ClaimSecure, Sun Life, etc.), and criminal matters.
Scott’s experience in the professional regulation and workplace environments uniquely positions him to assist health professionals navigate the complexities of the workplace setting in a professionally regulated framework.
Scott joined the firm in 2008 after completing his articles with Harper Grey. During law school, Scott completed a semester at The University of Leiden, Netherlands and won the prize for the highest mark in his Insurance Law class. Originally from Burnaby, BC, Scott completed his undergraduate degree in criminology at Simon Fraser University.
Wanting to take an active leadership role and be a positive influence for children (and to spend more time with his own!), Scott coaches youth sports including hockey, lacrosse, and baseball.
Recognized as a "Future Star" in British Columbia by Benchmark Canada®, 2020, 2022
Recognized as a "Lawyer to Watch" in the area of Employment Law by Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory®, 2020
Recognized as a "Leading Lawyer" in the area of Health Care Law by Best Lawyers® in Canada, 2022
Recipient of Lexpert® 2019 Rising Stars – Leading Lawyers Under 40 award
- University of British Columbia, LL.B., 2007
- Simon Fraser University, B.A., 2004
- British Columbia, 2008
- Chair, Harper Grey Workplace Law Group, 2016 – Present
- Member, Harper Grey Respectful Workplace Committee
- Mentor, Harper Grey Mentoring Program
- ETT Liaison Partner, Harper Grey Executive Technology Team, 2019 – Present
- Chair, Harper Grey Associates Committee, 2017-2018
- Contributing Author, LexisNexis® Harper Grey Administrative Law Netletter™, 2008 – Present
- Contributing Author, Harper Grey Canadian Administrative Law Blog, 2008 – Present
- Contributing Author, Harper Grey Administrative Law Observer Newsletter, 2008 – Present
- Contributing Author, Administrative Justice: A Practitioner’s Guide, 2016, Published by LexisNexis® Canada
- Contributing Author, Harper Grey Workplace Law Strategies Blog
- Member, CPHR BC & Yukon (formerly HRMA)
- Member, The Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch Subsections:
- Human Rights